Monday 11 February 2013

2 weeks in!

This weekend, I finally managed to escape Maseru and visit somewhere new.

The visit to the town of Roma (aptly named as it is the town where the missionaries came to settle).

Why go there? Well a friend of a friend – Sian was here all the way from Wales having arrived here on Friday night. She previously spent 6 months here as a teacher 4 years ago, she and her mother have set up a charity back home to fund children to go to secondary school and come over to visit when they can. They were staying at the Trading Post – a 4 generation family owned set up, which functions as a trading post, but has diversified to now include a lodge / guest house.

The journey there provided me with an opportunity to watch the stunning scenery of the Lesotho countryside and hear the sounds and see the sights of the more rural communities that are located by the roadside.

One thing here that I don’t get is that they have speed bumps (ok in in the right places where they serve a purpose) however since they are not marked at all and are the same colour and material as the road – I would recommend a vehicle with high clearance as it can be a nasty surprise given their height.

Having arrived on the edge of Roma, I meet with Sian and her mother – who both definitely coped with the journey here far better than I did. We then head up into the village to see a community based project which is managed by a GIZ (German Development Agency) worker, Renee. The project looks really good a simple collection of buildings built on land donated by the chief that are used as a youth centre for the groups of young people in the area. Renee is clearly enthusiastic about the work he does and has commanded the respect of the children, great to see some work being done on the ground here that is benefiting and has local community buy in and ownership.

The young girls at the youth centre are all carrying bottles full of purple mashed berries that they eat off long sticks, only when walking back do we see them picking blackberries – something I used to always do – coming home with a purple face.

The other thing about being in a rural setting is people are friendlier than the city, little children shout hello and ask where we are going, whilst one little girl even ran up and grabbed my hand to say hello.

We then went to the school where Sian taught, a boys boarding school, further into Roma. A stunning setting with the mountains all around, the views really captivating and enticing me into the mountains – I must go!! After a brief meet with the dormitory manager we return for a tasty roast chicken meal in a tranquil setting at the trading post before I get a lift home to Maseru. I return just in time for the second half of the Rugby and finally Wales win a match – Allez les Rouges!!

A lazy Sunday morning is followed by a call from a newly made friend David, asking me if I would like to go for a run with him and friends – perfect, the cloudy cover and cool air provide the perfect conditions. Setting off from the Maseru club we circumnavigate the city – I feel great and happy to finally run, it’s been a while. However 6km’s in, my body starts to react to the altitude – at home I would just adjust my breathing – here it isn’t possible, I simply can’t get enough oxygen into my system. The stop start nature of the run detracts from the enjoyment somewhat, as do the feelings of light headedness, but I keep on plodding along.

As we head past the Industrial area we pass a local runner who stops to chat, a really nice guy and what a runner – he ran last year’s High Altitude Marathon which is at 3000 metres in 2hrs 38mins!!  (http://www.highaltitudemarathon.org.ls/) As he sped off I was happy to get back and finish the 9.5km still intact and in 55minutes, the drizzle much appreciated (never thought I would be glad for rain!!).

On returning home a quick turnaround, and then I’m off out again, to the fanciest hotel – (the Lesotho Sun) in town for lunch with Kieran and Jerry (two Irishmen out here) and Stephanie (from Switzerland) – what a feast, an all you can eat buffet for about 7 quid!! Starters, 2 mains and dessert, perfect!

A skype afternoon catch up with goings on back in Europe to catch up with just the tonic to put a smile on my face – so close yet so far. I then head back up into town and meet the Irish for a beer and Rugby, before retreating home to have a relaxed evening – settling into the groove!
 
Hope you're all well - feel free to email me if you like - braned55@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment