Monday 25 February 2013

A weekend adventure in the Highlands

Forgot to mention in previous blog – a huge thank you to the Cardiff Bay Office ‘ The Bayside Tigers’ the t-shirt El delivered fits perfectly and brought a huge smile to my face, you’re all stars, and thoughtful ones at that! J

A half day on Friday, before the chance to shoot off and escape city life. Food shopping and then our journey sets off – Me, El, Polly and Motselisi. As soon as you get out of Maseru on the expansive roads the scenery opens up. The small villages and towns by the roadside bring all manner of sights as we head northwards.

We are soon passing quarries, small industries and lots of children randomly dancing by the roadside, not sure why, but I guess why not – if you have to dance, then you just have to!

The main danger to us en route, apart from the speeding taxi’s, are the speedbumps, sometimes with no apparent warning and barely visible (as the paint has worn off), the appear in strange places and are of considerable size – Motselisi is driving, so luckily we are in good hands. We all chuckle as we pass through ‘London’ – it could be further apart from the big city of the same name – and neither could the city compete with its views.

The road to Katse Dam is possibly one of the most beautiful car journeys I’ve ever been on – a 3-4 hour journey into the heart of the Lesotho Highlands, the Maluti Mountains. After a few hours we start to climb (keep in mind Maseru is already at around 1600m altitude) we continue to climb and climb, the mountains ever closer and the views breath taking.

The anthem of our journey is set by the Erykah Badu CD, the captivating mountains perfect soundtrack – this is what I wanted to see.

A sharp increase in the roads gradient as we pass by the side of the ‘tearful mountains’ – so called because of the continuous flow of water that always runs down them. The sheer feat of engineering to build this magnificent road leaves you is awe.  The signs of beware of the snow are a reminder that this place in winter must be near impossible to climb. We reach the summit and pull over for a break – we are at 3090m altitude and as we look back down the valley it’s clear to see this is the Mountain Kingdom – the chill in the air refreshes my mind as I begin to relax, mountains make me feel at home.

The landscape on route is not too dissimilar to the Brecon Beacons – just on a scale that is incomparable. The green lush grass means there are plenty of young shepherds roaming about, wrapped in the hats and blankets wearing wellies, they are easily distinguishable even when you can’t see the sheep, goats or cows.

As the day nears its ending, we finally approach our base for the weekend, a government owned holiday park - that was built for and formerly used by workers building the infrastructure around the dams – the tunnels and various other projects. The place is simple, yet clean and comfortable. We settle in and relax before making a delicious dinner, which included one of my favourites, shrimps – huge ones, marinated in beer, chilli and garlic, cooked to perfection.
However the realisation that I’m here to run the Half marathon kicks in, as we all discuss start times we realise an early start will be needed in fact we need to leave the accommodation before 5am to make it in time for the run.

Needless to say the morning start was bleary eyed to say the least, the long winding 50km road to Katse twists and turns continuously, progress is slow, but the sunrise is amazing, and we arrive just in time, I can’t help but think “I really should have trained properly for this” as I look at the runners, lean and muscular light body frames – this run is taken quite seriously by many, thankfully most of them are doing the full Marathon.

After registration, I have time to drink and then we’re off, the 6:30am start means the weather is cool and perfect conditions for a run. About 2 miles in we pass through the first village – the run has been gradually up hill and flat thus far, the women shout and people wave as we pass through – then there is the biggest downhill I have ever ran, continuous for as far down as I can see – I put down the handbrake and let my legs roll – flying past 6 runners ahead of me on my way to the bottom…however what goes down, must come up. I am soon struggling for breath, the lack of oxygen at this height (approx. 2600m) and 3km ascent are a killer, progress is slow and steady, it has to be as the lactic burn and first stitch kick in, the view of Katse Dam to my left temporarily focuses the mind on something else as I try and find a rhythm….as I turn the corner the road steepens again – I’m now walking as it is more efficient than running – there is some way further to go!

Finally I am running alongside someone else - a good way to keep my pace steady as I climb – Michael is a Basotho, but has lived his entire life in South Africa and come across specifically to run. He’s a good guy and sets a decent pace. We chat in between heavy breaths as we reach the plateau and turn off on to a trail as we head for the midway point – 1hour and 7 mins have passed and I’m thinking were is half way and why aren’t we there yet??

Soon enough we approach another village, where people line the sides of the route cheering us on and waving and smiling, we reach half way, pause, take a drink and pick up our yellow elastic bands (proof we made it to that point). We turn back and start to find our rhythm, spurring each other on. The sharp pain in my left knee doesn’t help, as I mask the pain trying to absorb the beauty of the view. We soon turn off again and run towards the dam. We cross it and look down – it reminds me of the James Bond scene when he jumps off – the scale of the dam is unreal (where’s my camera when I need it!).

As we pass the 17km (out of 21km) the first of the marathon runners flies past – at a pace that is insane (they started at 6am). And soon enough another is gaining ever closer. Michael is suffering with his achillies and I am with my knee, we’re too close to quit now. The memories of a Pyrenees trip last summer keep me positive and the kind words of friends run through my mind.

We turn the final bend, but the road to the finish feels never ending, the knee ever painful. One last push as we motivate each other we make it – cross the line and receive our medals. YEEESSS!!!

Next thought is…..  get me ice for the knee and shade from the hot sun – Finish time is approx 2hrs 17mins (still awaiting confirmed time, but happy eith that given the circumstances). This made the Cardiff Half seem like a walk in the park.... 

We then relax, and soon Polly has arrived, great effort! The others follow. Before long it’s 9:30am and El sets off on her 5km run – the heat is soaring, and she is soon back for a well-earned rest. We all retreat to the lodge for a stunning view of the dam and a nice cool drink.

Following this we head back on the 50km route to our accommodation, the views in daylight are amazing, but the tiredness begins to hit and we arrive back in time to have some lunch – a nice t-bone steak for me, followed by a siesta and chill out.

As I awaken it’s time to prepare the ‘Brai’ BBQ - what a feast!, my attempt at lighting it doesn’t exactly impress, but I finally get it going – the marinated lamb chops and borwurst ‘sausages’ (I think that’s what they’re called)are soon cooking away nicely, and are consumed gratefully – we chat and share stories and experiences under the moonlight, this is what quality of life is about. That knee is still giving me grief though! Time for some more Ibuprofen gel....

I finally have a good night of sleep – a whole 9 hours! I stumble out of bed and enjoy a delicious cooked breakfast, just the tonic I needed – we pack the car, pay up and set off on our way, climbing the hills once more.  We stop of at Bokong Nature Reserve – the scenery once again just totally takes my breath away, one of the best views I’ve ever seen. We enjoy a Maluti beer overlooking the Maluti Mountains – it would be rude not to, and relax for an hour or so taking photos before setting off once more.

The journey back is interesting we pass many outdoor church congregations stamping their feet – apparently stamping down on the Devil I’m told, we also see the uniforms, purple (Catholic), blue (Anglican) and others worn by people as we pass – the soundtrack playing away this time is a nice up beat melodic South African band called ‘Freshly Ground’ – check them out!

We are soon in Maseru, the scenery seems to help you forget you’ve travelled for hours on end. We drop off Polly at the bus stop and head home to drop off our things, then straight out and up to the Lesotho Sun Hotel (one of only two 4 star hotels in Lesotho apparently) on the hill above the city for sundown with really good people who work for the German Development Agency (GIZ), we have some good discussions about the things that motivate, inspire and drive us - the sunset you see from here certainly is awe inspiring. The night is finished with a nice Chinese meal at the hotel and collapsing to sleep – let’s see what this week brings.

At work, I hope to have the website edited and up and running this week with a bit of luck.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant post, Bran! The description of the run is so good - I could almost have been running with you!

    Diolch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diolch Dyfed, that's very kind - I'm glad you enjoyed it :-)

    ReplyDelete