Thursday 21 February 2013

I can't get no sleep!


As I approach the mid point of my stay in Lesotho – I just can’t believe that time has gone so fast, and I’m beginning to realise that two months is a very short time, especially when you have a busy life…

I think I really am settling here, I have my routines, my favourite hang outs and some really cool people who I meet up with.

This week however has been a bit more difficult, I think the lack of sleep I have been getting has finally caught up with me, for some reason or another I just find sleeping here quite difficult and it could be down to any number of factors, from altitude, to the heat to the sounds of the night. Up until now I have been a bit tired, but this week really did put things into perspective.

Tuesday morning I woke up and felt a bit drowsy, however after a morning (when I met an analyst from the International Labour Organisation who are based in Geneva) and much of the afternoon, I left work early and headed home to rest and fell asleep instantly.  The rest is what I needed and Wednesday resulted in much of the same – luckily my manager here is very understanding and could tell right away I wasn’t myself.

The end of the week has seen much improvement, I feel like I’m recovering and have had an interesting time, my friend Ellie has arrived from Wales (she plans to travel around Lesotho to see the sights) which is great (thanks for the lift to the airport Steph!), yet somehow crazy to see someone you know completely out of context – she has also brought sleeping pills, yey! I also met up with the British consul here, a nice bloke who was helpful and happy to chat about his 37 years of life in Lesotho – I think the quality of life here can offer an amazing lifestyle; I’m not surprised he hasn’t left.

An invite to a friends house for a Greek meal also did wonders – possibly the best food I’ve had since arriving! Yum! This was followed by a couple of drinks with friends and a nice relaxed evening, one of my friends here, Robert is a professional football player and from Cameroon – the only other sub-Saharan country I’ve ever been to (never thought I’d meet a Cameroonian in Lesotho) – good guy and a great chance for me to practice my French and him his English.

This weekend brings a new challenge as we head off to Katse – location of one of Lesotho’s biggest Dam projects and breathtaking scenery – can’t wait! (check it out on google – Katse Dam)  - we’re staying here: www.motebong.com Did I mention I have also signed up to run of the highest altitude half marathons in Africa? (We’ll have to see the effects of altitude and my strength before I do it for sure as I have trained sufficiently). Definitely not worth it if I’m going to get unwell! http://www.highlandstrout.co.za/the-marathon/ if I don’t manage that, then a swim or a kayak on the water will be just the thing….and maybe a visit to the botanical gardens.

Oh, one more thing here, they plaster telegraph posts with headings of the national papers - this weeks gem "Villagers forced to kiss!" will keep an eye out for future ones.

Have a good weekend!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment